Monday, April 18, 2011

Limoncello Chicken Wings

Sunshine told me about these amazing wings at Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria.  He said they were the best thing he ever ate, or something like that;   http://marcoscoalfiredpizza.com/ , so I took it as a challenge to make them myself.

If you couldn't tell by the name, the apparent secret to these wings is Limoncello.  It's a lemon liqueur from Italy



First you need to marinate 5 lbs chicken wings for 24 hours in;

 -3 Lemons quartered
-1/2 cup Limoncello
-1/4 oz fresh Oregano
-1/4oz fresh Thyme
-3oz fresh Rosemary
-2 TBLS Kosher salt
-1 tsp crushed Red Pepper
-1 TBLS cracked Black Pepper
-1 1/2 cup Olive Oil

(mix all in food processor or blender)

I tried 2 ways to cook these, both work just fine.

Method #1- cook wings on a smoking hot grill till nicely charred.  Finish on a rack in the grill or in a 450 degree oven.

Method #2- cook wings under a broiler in oven till nicely charred, and finish at 450 degrees.

My first batch didn't have much charring on the wings, and they were pretty ordinary.  Like Sunshine told me, the charring really makes these little cluckers shine.










I'm not a huge chicken wing fan, but these were pretty tasty, good crispy skin and moist meat with a nice lemon flavor.  Just make sure to use plenty of heat and  make sure to cook all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment